Daily NEWS Srilanka

Srilankans' Daily News Provider

Popular News

Archives

I'll bring up baby in Sri Lanka -- Anarkali who arrives from America after long period ... speaks  

Add comments

 I'll bring up baby in Sri Lanka -- Anarkali who arrives from America after long period ... speaks

I'll bring up baby in Sri Lanka -- Anarkali who arrives from America after long period ... speaks

Well-known actress Anarkali Akarsha who migrated to live in America soon after getting married several years before this in 2015 has come to Sri Lanka after a long time.

Anarkali who came to Sri Lanka in the company of husband and mother had toured all over the island during the past few days and she has celebrated her birthday party at a restaurant in Colombo after inviting several very close
artistes. What she told a newspaper by giving an interview was though experiencing a different culture in America that she still has a feeling for Sri Lanka and that some day she begets a child she would come to reside in Sri Lanka.

*Anarkali ... is it for a special purpose you come to Sri Lanka?
  It's not for a special reason. There are many special reasons. My husband lived in America. I wanted to show him the beauty of my country. In the same way we didn't spend a long time as such in Sri Lanka after the marriage. This time I came to spend a long holiday like that  and to travel round the country with the husband.

*Where and where did you go?
  We went to Kandy, Nuwara Eliya, Galle and many places.

*What's the place that robbed your husband's heart most?
  He liked Nuwara Eliya the most.

*When did you leave Sri Lanka?
  Around two thousand fifteen.

*How did you feel living in America?
  America is very different. A very fast country. Feel that time is moving fast. The culture also is different. People in that country are very open. Anybody has the right to say anything. Nobody looks at those things in a squint-eyed manner. People there criticise less. They're not frightened to speak the truth. I said those things not to say that America is good. Because I wanted to clarify the difference. However much America is different ... it can't be compared to Sri Lanka.

*Looks like you reminisce Sri Lanka very much.
  Yes ... a lot. I never dreamt that I'll have to live in another country. What I hoped was to live in Sri Lanka. But I had to go. However much of a distance I stay ... I live with Sri Lanka in my mind.

*When you came this time to Sri Lanka didn't you get invitations for acting?
  For acting of course I constantly get invitations. More than teledramas, I like to act in films. I have been called for a film. So because of that I hope to come to Sri Lanka next December.

*At the same time there's news that you are hoping to take a hand in a cinematic production.
  Yes. I have a great desire to do something for the Sinhala cinema. It's with that idea in mind that I am hoping to produce a film. That also will happen next year.

*You may have felt the value of our culture while in America.
  Not only in America ... even when I was uin Sri Lanka I had a big necessity and interest to know about our culture.

*But didn't you study at an international school?
  That was a big problem to me. In school I had to speak in English. Life also was spent in a strange environment. After coming out from there I felt that outside it was a strange world. I felt that that world was charming. I asked mother about it. Through my mother I came to know about our culture. Those days I didn't know much Sihala. Not much ... didn't know even anything. But I learned Sinhala little by little. I joined the cinema because I liked the Sihala way type of living.  

*We came to hear that you have activated a programme of imparting the significance of our culture to those in America.
  It wasn't I who took the leadership of that as such ... my husband. I am behind him to arrange all these matters. We are having a foundation called Sri Lanka Foundation in America. My husbamd is the President. Those in America think that Sri Lanka itself is a part of India and we are correcting that opinion of theirs. Some days back we organised a big programme called Sri Lanka Day across our Foundation. Sri Lankan features and aspects were displayed there. At the same time Sri Lankan dishes were made by us. About 8000 people attended the Day. It's very difficult to bring such a crowd for that programme in America. But we did it. It was a gigantic leap of ours.

*Your neighbouring Americans ... what opinion do they have about Sri Lanka?
  I have Americans who have been to Sri Lanka. They speak about Sri Lanka with great desire. What they say is that it's a country with people who always have a smile.

*Some of our artistes live in America. Didn't you come across them?
  America is a large country no. We live in the province of California. The other artistes are living in far off places. I'll have to take a plane to go and meet them.

*Anarkali ... when you came to Sri Lanka this time, did you feel that you are as popular as before?
  Yes ... what I get is love more than popularity. My fans love me a lot. First of all I got involved in the teledrama called Itipahan. From that day onwards I have a good welcome. I think that welcome is still there.

*Many people said various things those days about the style you speak. 
  That's my nature. Not something that I put on. By now I have seen some others imitating that style of mine.

*Are you prepared once more to play the role of a lover?
  Certainly not that of a lover ... I am prepared to play the role of any character suitable to me.

*Is it by your own hands that food is prepared for your husband?
  In America to a large extent one's own duties have to be carried out by one's ownself. Cooking also is like that. I can now cook better than I could earlier. When I was in Sri Lanka I was able to cook little by little. Now I cook tasty dishes. It's what I cook that hubby eats.


*Don't you have a desire of becoming a mother now itself?

  Those close to me know that I love children a lot. Actually I love children. But I won't be a mother now itself because I haven't still thought about it. It'll take some time to get ready to become a mother.

*Some day that you become a mother ... will you be living in America?
  Apo no! As soon as I become a mother I'll be coming with my baby to Sri Lanka. Baby must be brought up according to Sri Lankan culture. While explaining everything about Sri Lanka I'll be bringing up baby in Sri Lanka.

Note -- Prasad Samaratunga
Photos --  Nadun Baduge


Some photos of Anarkali during birthday party in Colombo and during sojourn in Sri Lanka, from below 

 http://ift.tt/2vwTia3

0 comments

Post a Comment

Recent News

Gossip Lanka MAG